Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Icons


In the 1970's well-known American graphic artist, Paul Rand, created the Eye-Bee-M poster for the computer corporation IBM. He used a combination of icons with their logo to show how we associate pictures and their meanings. Saturday in the Men's bathroom at Mo Pitkin's House of Satisfaction, I saw this rendition of a "No Smoking" sign. As you can see this mediocre and unsuccessful tribute to Paul Rand's iconic poster demonstrates an important point, you don't need to be literate to understand a sign. After my moment, I finished my cigarette and let the next guy into the pisser.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Paddy,

What goes on in the house of satisfaction anyway?

Apparently, no smoking!

I hope you got your belly scratched and you are deeply satisfied now.

From:
Popoki Aloha